Location: Jacksonville, FL
Employment Type: Full-time
The New Florida Majority is an independent organization working to increase the voting power and political influence of marginalized and excluded communities toward an inclusive, equitable, and just Florida.
We train residents to be leaders, mobilize communities around issues, and build our collective voting power so our democracy works for everyone.
The Climate Justice Organizer will be responsible for implementing NewFM’s grassroots program with people impacted, as well as, partners and allies. The Climate Justice Organizer will be responsible for building and coaching NewFM’s base of grassroots climate justice activists. The Climate Justice Organizer reports to the Climate Justice Program Manager.
- Collaborate with NewFM neighborhood organizers to build growing base of grassroots climate justice activists.
- Design and implement actions and events to mobilize base, allies & partners toward key climate justice policy wins.
- Coordinate a grassroots climate justice training series—identify needs, develop workshops, conduct trainings, secure guest speakers/trainers, & coach others in conducting climate justice trainings.
- Work with ClimateJustice Program Manager to build relationships with local and state elected officials.
- Develop/maintain effective relationships with partner organizations, allied groups, & community leaders.
- Work with communications staff to develop community outreach materials & build community visibility.
- Implement programming in a manner that increases NewFM staff capacity to sharpen strategic analysis, deepen political education, and develop precise skills relevant to organizing and campaigning around issues.
Qualification, Experience and Requirements
- Must have a strong understanding of climate change impacts in frontline & marginalized communities.
- The ideal candidate is a seasoned organizer with experience running issue campaigns & building coalitions.
- Applicant must share strong commitment to NewFM’s mission & be able to draw others into NewFM’s work.
- Strong track record of winning concrete campaign victories, mobilizing large numbers of people into action & building community leadership.
- Self-motivated; ability to take initiative & to manage multiple projects; & ability to work independently.
- Team-player: ability to work collaboratively & as part of team to advance the mission/goals of organization.
- Ability to interact with & understand people of various social, cultural, economic, & education backgrounds.
- Must be detail-oriented & able to meet deadlines.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health insurance, vacation, seniority raises and sabbatical for full-time employees.
TO APPLY: Send cover letter and resume to email@example.com with Climate Justice Organizer in the subject line.
New Florida Majority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination because of
sex, marital status, race, age, creed, national origin or the presence of disabilities. False or misleading statements during an interview and/or
on the application form are grounds for terminating the application process or, if discovered after employment, terminating employment. A felony conviction will not necessarily bar an applicant from employment.