The New Florida Majority is an independent organization working to increase the voting and political power of marginalized and excluded constituencies toward an inclusive, equitable, and just Florida.
The Communication Director (CD) will be responsible for leading strategic direction initiatives and the planning, coordination, and management of NewFM’s integrated marketing, public relations, and strategic communications programs. The Communication Director will work with both external and internal constituents to consistently articulate NewFM’s mission.
The Communications Director reports directly to the Executive Director.
Location: Miami, Florida
Employment Type: Full-time
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health insurance, vacation, seniority raises and sabbatical for full-time employees..
In addition to a resume, please provide a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. References should be available upon request.
Please put “Communications Director” in the subject line of your email.
The New Florida Majority is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.
- Lead the development of communications strategies, including earned, paid, and social media strategies.
- Work with campaign teams to integrate communications and organizing by develop framing, messages, talking points, strategy and tactics for issue campaigns and electoral work.
- Oversee, develop, and edit organizational communications that include but are not limited to press releases; media packets; letters to the editor and editorial materials; online communications (blogs, website content, social media, emails and newsletters)
- Provide direction and support to the staff of the communications department.
- Provide training to staff and partners on relevant communications topics.
- Participate in and represent NewFM at relevant state/national gatherings and groups related to communications and the social justice sector.
- Work with partners to develop unifying and common framing for collaborative campaigns.
- Establish and maintain a system to track and maintain a database of media contacts and press hits.
- Establish and maintain relationships with relevant producers, media makers, and surrogates to facilitate the coverage and promotion of NewFM activities and spokespeople.
- Provide weekly updates of communications activities and their outcomes.
Qualifications and Skills
- Applicant must share a commitment to the organization’s mission and have at least 3 years of communications/public relations or marketing experience.
- Experience in political campaigns, unions or grassroots organizing for social justice issues is preferred.
- At least 1 year of experience in a leadership role that included drafting communications strategy and staff supervision.
- Familiarity with digital organizing and social media platforms including CRMs and advocacy platforms such as EveryAction.
- Comprehensive knowledge of media operations and expertise in the field of public relations and release of information for publication.
- Excellent writing skills and ability to analyze issues and develop frames and messages
- Takes initiative, coordinates projects effectively and is deadline-oriented in a quick turn-around environment
- Takes direction well, but also able to work independently
- Attention to detail, accuracy and high-quality work in writing, proofing and data management
- Exceptional interpersonal skills to work in high paced environment with diverse teams of staff, members and partner organizations
- Must be detail-oriented and able to meet deadlines.
- Ability to motivate, mentor and support others in the development of their own skills and leadership.
- Ability to work independently, yet collaboratively, according to goals of the organization.
- Ability to interact with and understanding of persons of various social, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds.
- Fluency in English is required, and capacity in Spanish or Creole is beneficial.
- Valid driver’s license and reliable means of transportation; travel may be required throughout the state.