The New Florida Majority is an independent organization working to increase the voting power and political influence of marginalized and excluded communities toward an inclusive, equitable, and just Florida. We train residents to be leaders, mobilize communities around issues, and build our collective voting power so our democracy works for everyone.
NewFM is seeking experienced Community Organizers who want to build and strengthen NewFM’s bases in counties across Miami. Currently we are looking for organizers in: Broward, Leon, Miami-Dade, Duval, and Palm Beach Counties.
The Organizer is responsible for implementing plans to engage constituents in NewFM activities, events, trainings and capacity building. Other responsibilities include assisting with the implementation of the NewFM organizing model which is centered on the development of grassroots leaders.
Community Organizers report to the Organizing Director.
- Organize opportunities and strategies for recruitment of NewFM leaders, activists, members and volunteers
- Organize and facilitate civic education events and trainings
- Build relationships with neighborhood- level grassroots partners.
- Supervise and coordinate member-led field teams.
- Lead issue based mobilizations.
- Ability to problem solve with regional organizers to ensure effective organizing teams
- Maintain data and thorough contact lists.
- Substantive experience leading teams, including training, development, and accountability
- Knowledge of how to plan and execute strategic campaigns, preferably legislative and electoral
- Vision and capacity to execute leadership development programs
- Strong oral and written communication skills, especially around facilitation, planning and reporting
- Willingness and flexibility to work irregular hours, including nights and weekends
- Access to a car and valid driver’s license and insurance
- Ability to run a metrics based field program
- Ability to facilitate collaboration between different community stakeholders
- Capacity to work both independently and as part of a team, especially of diverse backgrounds
- Demonstrated commitment to social justice and our core issues
- Fluency in more than one language
- Existing relationships with grassroots organizations in the region
- Intermediate technological skills and access to a smart phone and laptop computer
Employment Type: Project Staff
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health insurance, vacation, seniority raises and sabbatical for full-time employees.
In addition to a resume, please provide a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. References should be available upon request.
Please put “Community Organizer” and the name of the county in which you’d like to apply (e.g. “Duval County Community Organizer”) in the subject line of your email.
The New Florida Majority is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color and LGBTQ candidates are encouraged to apply.