The Statewide Alignment Group is a project of New Florida Majority working with the aspiration of building a transformational politics to shift economic and governing power toward racial justice and a truly democratic state.
We are seeking an energetic advocate to help support and develop local and statewide strategies and campaign on our key democracy priorities — including voting rights, redistricting, money in politics and other democracy-expanding reforms.
About the Position
We are looking for an energetic, creative and driven issue advocate/organizer to help develop, support and implement state and local policy campaigns and strategies to advance voting rights and democracy reforms in Florida.
Candidates should have experience with issue advocacy campaigns, working in communities of color and at least 2 years of experience working with state-based coalitions, campaigns, or base-building community organizations to run issue campaigns. Candidates must be passionate about expanding access to democracy and increasing political participation in communities of color and some background working on democracy and civil rights issues is strongly preferred.
The Democracy Coordinator will:
• Work with Statewide Alignment Group leadership and allies to develop and execute strategies to advance democracy reform policy priorities at the state and local level
• Build engagement within the membership of the Statewide Alignment Group partner organizations and the broader community to advance robust, long-term and sustainable structural democracy reform agendas at every level of government
• Work within the Statewide Alignment Group to develop and implement member-engagement and organizing strategies around democracy priorities
• Serve as the primary Statewide Alignment Group contact on democracy work
• Develop policy expertise and help develop grassroots member engagement tools around automatic voter registration, public financing systems, redistricting and other proactive reforms
• Work with Statewide Alignment Group leadership to develop education and training that grows the grassroots policy knowledge and leadership of Statewide Alignment Group core leaders on key democracy reforms
• Provide strategic and technical campaign support including field, communications, policy and legislative strategy to meet the campaign goals and priorities of active democracy campaigns
• Work to expand the participation and leadership of the membership of Statewide Alignment Group partners and communities of color in state and local advocacy efforts to advance proactive democracy reforms.
We are seeking candidates with excellent relationship-building skills, who are outcomes driven, with strong and diverse issue advocacy skills. Ideal candidates should have demonstrated experience in the following:
• A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low- and moderate-income families.
• Minimum of 2 years of strategic issue advocacy experience including policy campaigns, state-level issue advocacy and/or lobbying and legislative advocacy.
• Familiarity voting rights, money in politics and/or democracy reform issues and policy
• Experience working with diverse coalitions to advocate for policy change.
• Experience implementing issue campaign plans that include policy, lobbying, grassroots mobilization, field, communications and policy implementation strategies.
• Independent and strong organizer who is able to drive project and programs to completion.
To Apply: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Democracy Coordinator in the subject.
New Florida Majority is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without discrimination because of sex, marital status, race, age, creed, national origin or the presence of disabilities. False or misleading statements during an interview and/or on the application form are grounds for terminating the application process or, if discovered after employment, terminating employment. A felony conviction will not necessarily bar an applicant from employment.