Location: Miami, Florida
Employment Type: Full-time
The New Florida Majority is an independent organization working to increase the voting and political power of marginalized and excluded constituencies toward an inclusive, equitable, and just Florida.
Under direction of the Senior Program Director, the Government Affairs Liaison will be responsible for the research, drafting, tracking, and analysis of policies and legislation for NewFM campaigns. The Government Affair Liaison will help build and maintain relationships with key elected officials and act as a liaison between South Florida, state, and federal legislators.
• Develop and draft policies and legislation, including budgets and projections.
• Conduct legislation and policy research and analysis using a variety of platforms for state and federal levels.
• Complete tracking & analysis of policies and legislation.
• Execute campaign plans and monitor the progress towards measurable outcomes made by NewFM neighborhood teams, volunteers, allies and partners
• Support alliance-building with elected officials and develop working relationships with staffers of key electeds.
• Effective and accountable reporting of progress numerically and analytically.
• Secure meetings with elected officials and with policy, legal, and neighborhood experts.
• Execute effective lobbying; ability to work across many issues; and ability to be assertive yet diplomatic
• Documentation and monitoring of progress towards programmatic goals on multiple campaigns.
• Support base building organizers with the local campaign work that comes out of the neighborhoods they work in.
• Develop and manage Partnership Agreements with local partners to implement campaigns.
• Facilitate campaign meetings including agenda-setting, group decision-making, tasking-out, and follow-up.
• Contribute to development of overall Florida strategy on multiple-issue campaigns.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Applicant must share a commitment to the organization’s mission and have organizing and/ or political campaign experience; Strong loyalty to NewFM’s principles and base
• Demonstrated ability to execute campaign goals and objectives, to work effectively with local allies and leaders and carry out required objectives.
• Strong communication, interpersonal, motivational skills, work ethic, and desire for political change are essential.
• Experience in building and maintaining multi-sector alliances preferred.
• Strong analytical skills, excellent written and verbal communication, and organizational skills.
• Computer skills: working knowledge of campaign databases including the Voter Activation Network, word processing, spreadsheet, and multimedia presentation software.
• English fluency required, other language desirable (Spanish and/or Haitian Creole).
• Prior knowledge and experience working in Florida and selected regions is a plus.
• Familiarity with 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 non-profit rules; familiarity with 527 and SuperPAC preferred.
• This position is located in Miami and will require travel.
Salary commensurate with experience. Generous benefits package including health insurance, vacation, seniority raises and sabbatical for full-time employees.
To Apply: Email resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Government Affairs Liaison in the subject.