Nov 23rd – Nov 24th
Palm Beach Convention Center
650 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33401
Our statewide People’s Assembly is coming soon!
As the presidential election approaches, we are convening our members, partners, and leaders to discuss what is at stake for next year’s election and what it will take to advance democracy and the issues we care about. During our time together, New Florida Majority members will vote on the presidential candidate that NewFM will endorse as an organization.
Together we are building a movement to RECLAIM OUR DEMOCRACY!
Below is all the information you need to know to enjoy the Assembly. See you soon!
Bus Ride from Jacksonville to West Palm Beach
- Date: Friday, November 22
- Bus Captain: Christian (305) 733-7163
- Pick up: Jacksonville 1010 Davis Street @ 5pm
- Dinner stop: Titusville 7pm-9pm
- Drop Off: 650 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33401 @ 11pm
Bus Ride from North Miami & Ft. Lauderdale to West Palm Beach
- Date: Saturday, November 23
- Miami Bus Captain: Ms. Deborah (786) 587-6605
- Broward Bus Captain: MonaLisa (954) 648-8414
- North Miami Pick up: 770 NE 125th St, North Miami, FL 33161 @ 9am
- Broward Pick up: 1142 W Sunrise Blvd, Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33311 @ 9:30am
- Drop Off: 650 Okeechobee Blvd, West Palm Beach, FL 33401 @ 11am
Buses will leave the Palm Beach Convention Center at 5:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon
A limited number of lodging scholarships have been reserved for dues paying members who registered by 11/10, on a first come first serve basis.
If you were awarded a scholarship, you will be staying at no cost in a shared room at the Hilton Hotel right next door to the Convention Center.
Once you arrive, leave your luggage in storage with the bellman at the lobby of the hotel. You will be able to check-in to your room before dinner.
There is free day-time parking at the convention center. For overnight parking, there is valet at the Hotel and a public parking garage across the street.
Directions to Parking Garage for the Palm Beach County Convention Center:
- Remain going East on Okeechobee until you pass the Convention Center.
- Make a right at the first light past the Convention Center onto Florida Avenue (as if you are turning into The Hilton entrance)
- Keep going straight until the road ends where you will see the parking garage with an attendant present.
Day One – Saturday 23rd
- Lunch – 12pm to 1pm at Main Room
- Dinner – 7pm to 8:15 pm at Main Room
Day Two – Sun 24th
- Breakfast – 7:30am-9am @ main room
- Lunch – 1pm to 2pm @ main room
Vegetarian and vegan options are available for every meal.
What to wear
- Wear what feels comfortable
- The temperature this weekend will be in the 70s, make sure to bring a sweater
- We will have a dance party on Saturday evening, so bring your dance shoes!
Childcare: We will provide childcare during Saturday and Sunday
Interpretation: Spanish – English and Kreyol – English simultaneous interpretation will be available throughout the Assembly
Why is it important? NewFM is gearing up to what will be the most important election in our lifetimes. Since Trump was elected, we have witnessed the degradation of our Democracy and the pain inflicted upon Black, Immigrant and poor communities. In 2020 we will reclaim our democracy and take our State back.
How will we do it?
We will elect the candidate that NewFM will endorse by inviting our members to vote during our Assembly. We will use ranked choice voting, which means voters will pick their first two choices in order of preference.
The voting process will take 2 hours. All the ballots will be counted for voters’ first choices. If no candidate wins by a 10% margin, we will count second choices for the top 3 candidates and tabulate. The candidate with the most 1st and 2nd choice votes will be endorsed.
An announcement on our presidential endorsement will be made at the closing of the Assembly.
Who can vote?
- Only individual members who have paid dues in 2019 (including staff who have paid dues) and are present at the Assembly during the voting are eligible to cast a vote in our Presidential endorsement.
- Our membership dues are $10 a month, and members who are not current in their dues will be allowed to vote as long as they have made at least a $10 contribution during 2019.
- Individual members of partner organizations who want to cast an individual vote will first be asked to join as NewFM individual members, and make a contribution.
If you haven’t already, you can become a member here.
Who can participate?
- Our members: You are considered a New Florida Majority member if you have paid at least one month of membership dues by November 16, 2019
- Our partners: If you are a member or leader of one of our partner organizations in Florida
- Our activists & allies: If you have volunteered with us, participated in one of our People’s Assemblies or simply love our work, you are welcome to participate.
- Our staff
How much does it cost? There is no cost to attend the Assembly. However, transportation and lodging will be offered at no cost to a limited number of dues paying members who registered before 11/10, on a first come first serve basis.
How to register? The last day to register was Saturday, November 16.
- If you are a member, select the option “Dues Paying Member.” Our team will check your application and confirm your registration.
- If you belong to a partner organization, select “Partner” and enter the name of the organization you will be representing. We have 5 available lodging scholarships for our partner organizations.
- If you are a New Florida Majority activist or ally, you have two options:
- If you have yet to become a member, select “Non-Member”. You will be asked to become a dues-paying member for only $10/month, which is a requirement if you wish to cast your vote in our Presidential endorsement. You can also select “Annual Membership” if you want to receive a discount for the whole year
- You can select “Attendee Only” and still attend and participate in our Assembly, but you won’t be eligible to cast a vote in our Presidential endorsement process.